Moist red velvet cupcakes topped with a mouth-watering cream cheese frosting & white chocolate shavings & Easter eggs...mmmm.....the perfect Easter treat...
12 standard or 24 mini
- 225g (1 ¼ cup) Self-raising flour
- 25g (¼ cup) Cocoa powder
- 150g (½ cup) Castor sugar
- 60g (¼ cup) diced Copha
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 125ml (½ cup) Buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Red food colouring
- 1 tsp Bi-carbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp White vinegar
Cream cheese frosting
- 250g (1cup) Softened cream cheese
- 125g (½ cup) Softened Copha
- 250g (2 cups) Icing sugar
- 1tsp Vanilla essence
- Mini chocolate Easter eggs
- White chocolate shavings
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (fan forced 160° C) 350°F/ 320°F. Line a standard 12-hole cupcake/muffin pan with paper cases for standard sized cupcakes, or a 24-hole pan for mini-cupcakes.
- Sift together self-raising flour and cocoa powder. Soften Copha in microwave in 30second increments until just soft enough to beat.
- Cream Copha and castor sugar using an electric mixer; adding eggs one at a time.
- Combine vanilla essence, buttermilk and food colouring in a bowl, microwave on high for 30 seconds. Turn mixer to low speed. Add flour mix and buttermilk in batches.
- In a small bowl, stir together the bi-carbonate soda and vinegar. Add to the cup cake batter.
- Divide batter equally into the prepared pan and bake for 15 -20 minutes or until skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Set aside for 5 – 10 minutes in the pan before turning onto a wire rack for cooling.
Cream cheese frosting
- Soften Copha in microwave in 30second increments until just soft enough to beat.
- Pre-warm the outside of your electric mixer bowl with running hot water
(to keep Copha soft). Add Copha, cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla essence to your bowl and beat until well combined.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a 2cm nozzle with frosting.
- Pipe swirls over the cup cakes.
- Sprinkle with white chocolate shavings, then top with a mini Easter egg.
- Serve immediately or keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
Serve at room temperature; suggest take out from the fridge 1 hour before serving. Can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.