Hedgehogs are a delicious throwback to childhood - perfect with popping candy and chocolate, or walnuts and rum for a grown-up taste!
- 250g copha
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 80g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp rum or coffee
- 250g shortbread biscuits, roughly chopped
- 50g red jelly lollies, chopped
- Line the base and sides of 30 x 15cm slab tin with baking paper.
- Combine the cocoa powder and caster sugar in a large bowl and mix well.
- Melt the copha in a small saucepan over low heat. Pour the melted copha into the bowl and mix with the cocoa powder and sugar.
- Stir in the rum and beaten egg.
- Fold through the biscuit pieces and lollies. Mix together until well combined.
- Press hedgehog mixture into the lined slab tin.
- Melt together the remaining copha and chocolate in a bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir until well combined.
- Spread the topping mixture over the hedgehog evenly, sprinkle with poppy candy pieces and allow hedgehog to set.
- Refrigerate for several hours before slicing into squares or fingers using a warm wet knife.
- Serve as required.
- Hedgehogs maybe stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Hedgehogs are delicious with walnuts or M&M’s added to the mixture.
- If you are gluten-intolerant, replace shortbread biscuits with rice cookies or popcorn.