Prepare for ooohs and aaahs with this divine tiramisu- and it's gluten free too so all your guests will be happy!
12 to 16 scoops
For best results make this the night before serving.
Serving sizes are dependent on size of serving dish, and how generous the portions are.
Sponge finger biscuits
- 50g (¼ cup) diced Copha
- 5 Eggs separated
- 160g (2/3cup) Castor sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 150g (1 cup) Gluten free plain flour
- 75g (½ cup) gluten free self-raising flour
- ½tsp gluten free baking powder
- 500ml (2 cups) strong black coffee (hot)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Marsala
- 130g (1/2 cup) Castor sugar
- 4 Eggs separated
- 250g (1cup) Mascarpone
- 250ml (1 cup) Thickened cream
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- 50g Dark chocolate, grated
Sponge finger biscuits
- Pre heat oven to 180°C (fan forced 160° C). Lightly grease and line with baking paper two 30cm x 40cm / 11in x 15in flat baking trays. Chill the serving dish in the refrigerator.
- Warm Copha in the microwave, just soft enough for creaming (around 1 minute on 50% power).
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of the castor sugar and cream the remaining castor sugar and Copha using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks in one at a time followed by vanilla essence.
- Transfer mix to a large bowl and set aside. Beat egg whites using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form. Add the reserved 2 tablespoons of castor sugar and whisk for a further minute.
- Sift together flours and baking powder. Fold half the egg whites into the egg yolks; Fold the flour mix into the egg yolks. Fold the remaining egg whites into the mix.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm plain nozzle with the mix and pipe 24 biscuits 8cm (3 ½in) long.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and firm, alternating trays half way through cooking. Set tray aside for 5-10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix together hot coffee, Marsala and 2 tablespoons of castor sugar. Set aside coffee mixture to cool completely.
- In an electric mixer whisk half of the castor sugar and the egg yolks until thick and creamy. Transfer mix to a large bowl, then fold the mascarpone gently through one third at a time; keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Beat cream using an electric mixer until soft peaks form; keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Beat egg whites using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form. Slowly add the remaining castor sugar and whisk for a further 2 minutes.
- Take mascarpone mix and whipped cream from fridge; fold whipped cream gently through one third at a time into the mascarpone mix. Then fold in egg whites gently one third at a time. Keep refrigerated until ready to assemble.
- To assemble the tiramisu, dip four pieces of biscuit at a time into the coffee mixture, squeeze out the excess liquid and arrange in the bottom of the dish. Continue this until there is an even layer of biscuit in the dish.
- Spoon enough mascarpone cream to make a layer the same thickness as the biscuit layer; ensuring layers are even.
- Continue the process until the dish is full, finishing off with a layer of cream. (There should be two layers of biscuit and two layers of cream)
- Dust with cocoa powder and sprinkle grated chocolate over the top. Garnish with the mini Easter eggs.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.