Rainbow Teacake With Vanilla Frosting & M&M’s
Spectacular looking, this colourful rainbow teacake with vanilla frosting (and M&M's!) is easier to make, and make ahead, than you think!
12 generous slices
- 170g (¾ cup) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 150g (1¼ cups) self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 15g Copha, melted
- 80ml (⅓ cup) milk
- 3 x 380g M&M’s packets, to decorate (can also replace with Smarties if desired)
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tbsp whipping cream
- Pre heat oven to 170°C (fan forced 150° C) 330°F/ 300°F. Grease and line an 18cm/7 inch springform tin with baking/grease proof paper.
- Combine caster sugar and eggs together in an electric mixer and beat for 8 to 10 minutes until pale and creamy and tripled in volume.
- In a separate bowl, sift together self-raising flour and cornflour 3 times. Sift flours over egg mix and quickly fold through using a spatula, making sure all ingredients are well combined.
- Melt Copha in microwave or saucepan until fully melted. Warm milk in microwave (on high for 20 seconds). Pour Copha and milk down the side of bowl and fold through the egg and flour mix.
- Pour final mixture into prepared pan and smooth surface. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove pan from oven.
- Set cake aside in the pan for 5-10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack for 30 minutes to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- Slice your cake in half horizontally, ensuring you cut as evenly as possible. Place the bottom sponge on a serving plate.
- Spread vanilla frosting over the base. Place the top cake layer on top of your filling layer.
- Spread the vanilla frosting over the sides and top of the cake evenly.
- Separate the M&M’s by colour. Place a single row of alternating colour M&M’s around the base of the cake. Continue to place M&M’s row by row up the side of the cake, as per picture. Once the sides are done, continue this same process along the top of the cake.
- Let frosting set before serving.
Can be stored in fridge for up to 3 days.