Gluten Free Ginger & Carrot With Lemon Icing Cupcake
Keep all your Christmas party guests happy, including Santa! You can even wrap the cupcakes up in cellophane to give as a lovely festive gift.
12 standard or 24 mini-cupcakes
- 80g (1/3 cup) diced copha
- 225g (1 ¾ cups) Gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 ½ tsp Gluten free baking powder
- ½ tsp Ground ginger
- ¼ tsp Ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Mixed spice
- 150g (¾ cup) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 Eggs
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 60ml (¼ cup) Orange juice
- ½ cup Chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup Chopped figs
- 1 cup grated carrot (medium sized)
- Colourful edible balls or sprinkles to decorate cupcakes
- 125g (1cup) Icing sugar
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 –2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pre heat oven to 180°C (fan forced 160° C) 350°F/ 320°F. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases for standard sized cupcakes or a 24 hole muffin pan for mini-cupcakes.
- Soften copha in microwave in 30second increments until just soft enough to beat. Sift together self-raising flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream copha and brown sugar together using an electric mixer. Add eggs one at a time to the bowl, then add the orange zest.
- Warm the orange juice in a microwave safe bowl for 20 seconds on high. Add the orange juice and flour mixture in batches into the copha mix. Stir in walnuts, figs and carrot. Mix together.
- Divide batter equally into the prepared pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove pan from oven.
- Set cupcakes aside in pan for 5-10minutes before turning onto a wire rack for 30 minutes to cool.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Add lemon juice and beat by hand until the icing is thick and smooth.
- Spread icing smoothly on top of cup cakes.
- Decorate with colourful edible balls or sprinkles, allowing icing to set.
Can be stored in an air-tight container in room temperature for 2-3 days.