Gluten-Free Ginger & Carrot Cupcakes
Spoil yourself with these mouth-watering gluten-free carrot, ginger and walnut cupcakes.
12 standard or 24 mini-cupcakes
- 80g ( 1/3 cup) diced Copha
- 225g (1¾ cups) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- 150g (¾ cup) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 orange
- 60ml (¼ cup) orange juice
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chopped figs
- 1 cup grated carrot (medium-sized)
- candied orange and lemon zest, to decorate
- 125g (1 cup) icing sugar
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pre heat oven to 180°C/350°F (fan forced 160°C/320°F). Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases for standard sized cupcakes or a 24 hole muffin pan for mini-cupcakes.
- Soften Copha in microwave in 30 second increments until just soft enough to beat. Sift together self-raising flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream Copha and brown sugar together using an electric mixer. Add eggs one at a time to the bowl, then add the orange zest.
- Warm the orange juice in a microwave safe bowl for 20 seconds on high. Add the orange juice and flour mixture in batches into the Copha mix. Stir in walnuts, figs and carrot. Mix together.
- Divide batter equally into the prepared pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove pan from oven.
- Set cupcakes aside in pan for 5-10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack for 30 minutes to cool.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Add lemon juice and beat by hand until the icing is thick and smooth.
- Spread icing smoothly on top of cupcakes.
- Decorate with candied zest, allowing icing to set.
Can be stored in an airtight container in room temperature for 2-3 days.