These coconut jam drop cookies will take you back with a flavour combination that never goes out of style!
• 125g Copha, softened
• 60g castor sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• 1 egg, beaten
• 60g desiccated coconut
• 180g self raising flour, sifted
• Pinch salt
• 1 tblsp milk
• 1 cup desiccated coconut for rolling
• ½ cup jam (any flavour based on preference)
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C. Cream together the Copha and sugar in the work bowl of a food processor.
- Add the vanilla essence and egg; then gradually add the combined coconut, self raising flour and pinch of salt to the bowl.
- Finally, pour in the milk, combining until a stiff dough is formed. Remove dough from the food processor and shape into walnut sized balls using wet hands.
- Roll these cookie balls through the desiccated coconut. Place cookie balls onto lined baking trays.
- Using your thumb, make a small indentation in each ball. Fill each indentation with a little of your favourite jam.
- Bake cookies 12 -15 minutes until golden.Remove from oven and cool on the tray 5 minutes before carefully placing on a cooling rack.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Notes: Use gluten free flour for gluten free cookies if desired.
Some flavour variation ideas: Make chocolate chip cookies by replacing coconut with chocolate chips. For cherry nut cookies, replace jam with a glaze cherry and replace coconut with chopped nuts for rolling. For stained glass cookies, replace jam with solid lollies.