- Pre-heat oven to 190°C.
- In a large bowl combine the self raising flour, baking powder and salt.
- Grate the Copha over the flour. Rub the Copha into the flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir the grated cheese through.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in ¾ of the soda water and the beaten egg. Mix to a firm but tacky dough, adding more soda water if required.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead gently.
- Roll dough out to a long rectangle 40cm x 20cm.
- Spread the dough with the tomato paste or pesto, then top with the bacon and grated cheese. Roll dough up as per a sponge roll. Cut dough into thick even slices.
- Place pinwheels close together in a lightly floured non-stick 24cm baking cake tin.
- Sprinkle pinwheels with a little extra cheese and bake in the pre-heated oven at 190°C for 12 -14minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve warm.
Notes: This savoury scone dough can also be made into a quick and easy pizza.