Get the secret ingredient for Grandma's light and fluffy scones!
• 3 cups self raising flour
• ½ tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp sugar
• 60g Copha
• 300ml lemonade
• 1 egg, beaten
• Plain flour for kneading and rolling
- Pre-heat oven to 190˚C.
- In a large bowl, combine the self raising flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Grate the Copha over the flour. Rub the Copha into the flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in ¾ of the lemonade. Mix to a firm but tacky dough, adding more lemonade if required.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead gently.
- Roll dough out to a 4cm thick circle using a floured cutter, cut out scones.
- Re-roll dough as required.
- Place scones onto a floured non-stick baking tray. Brush scones with beaten egg and bake in the pre-heated oven at 190˚C for 12 -15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve warm.
Note: If making date or sultana scones, add ½ cup of fruit and 1 beaten egg to the mixture.