Gluten-Free Banana Cake
The classic banana cake has been reinvigorated for the gluten-intolerant.
• 125g Copha
• 125g castor sugar
• 1 lemon zested & juiced
• 2 eggs
• 2 ripe bananas, mashed
• 2 cups gluten free flour or chestnut flour
• 2 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
• 1 tblsp golden syrup
• ½ cup desiccated coconut
• 30g Copha, melted
• 2 cups gluten free icing sugar
• 1 tblsp lemon juice
• Zest of lemon to garnish
• Dried banana chips to decorate
- Pre –heat oven to 170˚C.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, cream the chopped Copha and sugar together until light and creamy.
- Add the lemon zest and eggs gradually to the Copha mixture.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor into a large mixing bowl.
- Fold through the mashed banana until well combined.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and fold through the mixture.
- Finally stir through the golden syrup and desiccated coconut. Mixture should be a soft dropping consistency. If the mixture is still too thick, stir through 1 -2 tblsp of water.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined 24cm baking tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven at 170˚C for 50 -55 minutes or until cooked through.
- Whisk together the melted Copha, icing sugar and lemon juice until well combined.
- Spread mixture generously over the cooled cake and decorate with the lemon zest and banana chips
Notes: This cake can be prepared with regular flour if you are not gluten intolerant. Banana can also be replaced with poached Apple, Pear or Apricots.
Store cake in an airtight container or tin for up to 7 days.